So there has been some call for winter salad recipes. ;) I think this works in any season, but is hearty enough for winter and works well with winter greens such as red leaf lettuce or butter lettuce with some persimmons or pears mixed in. Nothing is more simple, rewarding and aesthetically pleasing than seared Ahi tuna. Enjoy!
For the salad:
- 1 lb. of the freshest Ahi Tuna
- 1 lb. of greens (red leaf lettuce or butter lettuce work well)
- 1 persimmon or Asian pear, diced into bite-sized strips
- Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper
- tsp of sesame seeds, toasted
- a handful of sesame sticks or crackers for crunch (in the bulk section of most grocery stores)
- Diced scallion whites (optional)
For the dressing:
- 6 T olive oil
- 3 T rice wine vinegar
- 1.5 T soy sauce
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp honey or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil, if desired
- 1/2 tsp of dijon, if desired
1. Wash and dry the lettuce and place in a salad bowl. Dice the persimmon or pear and add to the greens. Add toasted sesame seeds and sesame sticks and toss. Add scallion if using.
2. Whisk dressing ingredients together and set aside.
3. Season the Ahi steak with salt and pepper. On a very hot pan, sear the tuna on both sides for only 1 minute each side or until desired done-ness. Let rest for 4-6 minutes, then slice into wedges.
4. Toss the salad with dressing and put into salad bowls. Top salad with seared tuna and serve!